The Replacement

The Replacement - Brenna Yovanoff Hmmmm. Okay.

There are a few things:

1) I never truly felt a connection to any of the characters, at all. I honestly could not have cared less if The Lady massacred all of the main characters, not the child (because I have one that age), but all the others. Hell, she could have sent a bloody effing river through town and drowned every citizen in Gentry. I would have sighed, shook my head and then turned the page. No tears shed, sleeping soundly. Truth.

2) I didn't feel the connection of character to character. Yeah Roswell was Mackie's best friend, but was he really? Cuz Mackie was surely tight-lipped and so freaking awkward when it came to letting him in that it made me embarrassed to read it. I was constantly having to read through my fingers and half cussing at him to just "fucking say it!". Hot Damn.

Tate, the love interest, I guess, was supposed to be some bad ass, hardcore, biotch with nerves of steel and blood that ran ice cold or some shit. All I picked up on was Biotch. She wasn't tender enough to be likable. She kissed Mackie a few times but it was to train him in a Pavlovian Response technique for telling her information or agreeing with her....? What? Also, it was alluded that she was whorey...Mmmm, yeah there's nothing like a good ol' whorey love interest to warm the cockles.

3) There was a lot of assumption going on on behalf of the author. There were revelations said and somehow I was supposed to already know, duh, that that's what was happening and why. Um, no. I'm sorry but I was way lost towards the end when things were just being unfolded like an eager toddler "helping" on laundry day.

4) The "hero" was stupid and weak. He never gave me the impression that he was a force to be reckoned with. This book should have taken the perspective of Tate. I kept thinking "He's about get all kinds of ass kicky all over the place" but no, he never did. Ever. He had far too many weaknesses and nothing to set him apart from any of the other monsters. He was weak and stupid. Ooo also he hardly gave a shit about anything. He was not noble or good and honestly, spent most of the time curled into a little ball of puke and shivers. Disgusting.

All in All: Horribly unimpressed. It tried too hard and seemed forced.

I was looking for YA that was different from fallen angels, zombies, vampires, magic, werewolfs etc. etc. and I guess I found it but not in the way where you find a whole twenty dollar bill on the sidewalk, instead in a way where you find half of a fifty. So close, but no potato.